Peace on Earth, Goodwill toward Men


Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men. (Luke 2:14 KJV)

Every Christmas season these words can be heard echoing through church halls and over the radio waves as festive songs relive the proclamation of that very first Christmas night.  We have probably all said them at least once on our lives, but have we really thought about the true meaning of this declaration?

Tonight I find myself pondering it as the children are now asleep and "Santa" is placing his final touches on the presentation of his midnight delivery.  Peace on Earth......Goodwill toward men.  The biggest reason Jesus came.  His highest priority wasn't to convert others, pronounce judgement, or to convince people to think  alike.  His highest priority was simply to love God and thy neighbor, an action that by itself would bring this declaration to fruition.

So.....I guess I know what this year's New Year's resolution will contain......a new commitment to be a better husband, father, and friend.  To be kinder to strangers and yes even enemies.  I need to do my part to bring peace to this world.  There are seven billion of us on this giant ball now and I certainly can't affect all of them, but, I can do my best to ensure we are one seven billionth closer toward Peace on Earth and Goodwill toward Men.

Merry Christmas Everybody!

Comments

  1. hi, will. i wanted to let you know that danny gave me a copy of your first book and i had a chance to finish it today. for a myriad reasons, i had tears in my eyes when i read the true love chapter. i don't believe i understood love at all either until i held my children for the very first time. in fact, i wrote about that very subject on my own blog this month. to look at God's love for us from that same perspective is an eye-opener and then to compare that to how our love should be for family, friends, spouses - well, i just want you to know, i think you got it one hundred percent right. :) it was wonderful to meet you and a big thank you for being such a faithful friend to my man. he speaks incredibly highly of you and i'm looking forward to hearing you preach some day soon. happiest of new years to you and your family. melisa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts