Love


I've found myself pondering religion lately. Not just Christianity, but every religion. The followers of just about every religion on Earth believe that their way of believing is the "right" way, thus the reason they follow. What is interesting is that as different and diverse as religions are, they all have the common idea that their way is best and all others are found lacking.  As a Christian, I was brought up with the idea that Judeo-Christianity was "God's" religion and that every other faith was just something made up by man. Every belief system on Earth, every one but mine, was just made up by people through the centuries.



Then it hit me that every other religion feels the same way about mine. From that perspective, religion really seemed to echo quite hollow as mine was like every other in that regard. Then the next thought that hit me was, "What if all religions are just made up by man?" Of course that was blasphemy and I was certain to go to hell for thinking it, but it did cross my mind. What if there are no gods, what if all of these different beliefs were just made up throughout history? If that were the case, would I still follow any of them?



If there are no gods, if religion is simply teachings made up by man, which one would have the "best" teachings. If there was no heaven and no hell to bait me or scare me, if I didn't have to worry about eternal consequences for objectively choosing something, could I or even would I choose any of them?



That is when Jesus really began to rise to the top of the list. Jesus taught that we are all to love each other. Jesus taught not to judge people, to embrace people, to accept people. He demonstrated this to the extent that it actually cost him his life. Of all the religions in the world, which one could still change the world in profoundly positive ways if there was no God behind it?  I have come to believe that even if there is no God, love can still change the world in profoundly positive ways!  If everyone on Earth were to suddenly believe in Jesus, I'm not sure the world would really look all that different than it does now because we have ample examples throughout history of people who believed in Jesus but still hated each other. But what if we were to all love like Jesus? What then? I believe if that were to happen the world would be changed for the better in an instant!



Love can change the world even if there is no God behind it…………which is exactly why I believe He is.
     

Comments

  1. Love did change the world, at Calvary. And apart from God...we cannot truly know what Love is. Because He IS Love.
    1 John 4:8 demonstrates this truth clearly.

    Loved the post Will, and it gives great insight as to why Jesus had such a hard time with the religious leaders of His day. When Jesus told Peter "..on this rock, I will build my church" (Matt 16:18)I truly believe he speaking about Himself and the faith in Him that Peter had just demonstrated by his profession of it. I cannot think of a time when Jesus said, "Hey everyone, uh, before I ascend to the Father, let's get a church building going with a fancy name and really cool ornaments...ya know, so I come visit ya'll now and then." Honestly, I wonder if Jesus would even go near most of the "churches" across this planet, regardless of the name on the door. "Whitewashed tombs" was a term He used to call religious leaders...the one's that ultimately killed him.

    I will tell you where you can find Him. Resting and working in the hearts of His people who are in a personal and profound relationship with Him. Those that make up the true 'ecclesia".

    JR

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks JR. It's great to hear from you buddy! I hope all is going well for you guys!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is Will, life is so good post retirement! Keep the faith brother, and keep up the good work!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts