Life Lessons from Bowling

After almost 13 and a half years of marriage, I finally beat my wife at bowling.  Yet, the satisfaction I feel is still curbed by the fact that I wasn't able to beat her at her best.  See, when we first started dating and what not, I would "let" her win because I just figured that was the polite thing for a young man to do while trying to win the heart of a fair maiden.  Little did I know at the time, I wasn't really letting her win at all......she was just beating me.  It wasn't until we had been married a couple years that I figured it was time to go ahead and drop the gloves to show her the fullness of my bowling skills.  Only then did I learn that I really am a terrible bowler.  Tonight in the first game she nearly tore her entire thumb nail off on her third attempt.  Even still she beat me two games.  The third game her hand was hurting so bad that she suggested we all try to bowl left handed.........only then did I finally win..........somehow it doesn't feel like a true victory. 

Thankfully, I'm the sort of guy that only needs some perspective to help him enjoy life more.  If I get the wrong order at a restaurant I try to think about all the people in the world who don't have the luxury of having so much food the order can be wrong.  Tonight, as I was pouting over my bowling inferiority, I went to use the restroom and noticed two pairs of shoes from under the toilet stall that were facing the same direction and standing in very close proximity to each other.  From the muffled noises I was hearing it was clear that someone was having a very hard time in there.  I went about my normal business and shortly after I left a young man and women came out of the restroom together giggling.  As they returned to their group they were greeted with cheers and laughter.  That's when it hit me.  Here I am pouting about a bowling game when this poor chap can't even go to the bathroom by himself without the help of his girlfriend.  What a sad state for this poor guy and what a selfless young lady that would sacrifice her pride as to enter the men’s room to be a helper.  The idea of people helping each other is really quite beautiful isn’t it?  I immediately felt extremely sorry for him and realized that if my biggest problem tonight is that I can't win a bowling game then my life is pretty good.

Comments

Popular Posts