Land of the Free???

I found myself irritated today. My wife burst through the door proudly sharing about the new car seats she had just purchased for our youngest two children. Normally I don't have a problem with a product to increase my children's safety but this time I was irked. I am irked because both of my two youngest had out grown their car seats....that is until our state passed a new child restraint law that increased the age and size requirements for children to a size that some junior high student would need a car seat.

This irritation was compounded by the fact that this morning I saw on the news that Mayor Bloomberg in New York City is seeking to ban soda cups of more than 16oz due to "obesity" issues. I then learned that San Diego is issuing fines for people who throw frisbees or footballs on the beach.

With all of this I have to ask WHAT IS HAPPENING TO US!!?? When did these ticky tac little issues suddenly become the focus of the people we elect and place into office? I've come to the conclusion that when politicians get elected, they feel a deep need to validate their presence in office. Therefore, they feel compelled to enact some sort of legislation....any sort of legislation. That way, when they run for re-election, they can proudly point to how they made the beaches of San Diego safe from flying footballs or how they cut down on the number of fat people in New York by banning larger cups.

My fellow Americans, we need to be careful! We need to be careful that we don't allow our government to become our parents, telling us that we are too stupid to think for ourselves. The fact is that if I am too irresponsible to be polite, there are already plenty of other laws on the books that can be used to keep me in line. But my foolishness should not be the reason that the majority of people who are smart enough not to throw a football at a sun bather should lose the right to toss a ball around.

Think about that......in a free country people have lost the right to throw a football at the beach. People have lost the right to order a large soda. Our freedoms in this nation are not something that another nation will ever take from us because the citizens of this country would never stand for that. Instead, we will slowly give them away, one silly law at a time, and our free nation will lose the very thing that makes it great from the inside. Slowly being squeezed away by an over zealous government, like a boa constrictor squeezing the life from its prey.

We need to WAKE UP people, cuz this is really happening, every year more and more of these silly laws get passed and every year we grumble a bit but then get used to it and forget and we lose a little more. Perhaps we should start electing officials based on what they promise to un-do rather than all they plan to do.

Comments

Popular Posts