The Shadow

I had the great fortune of having to wake up an hour earlier than normal to go to work today. Normally I would find this an inconvenience and today that's exactly how I felt until I happened to catch the full moon out of the corner of my eye while I was driving down the road. I immediately noticed something out of place as there was a large curved shadow darkening half of our small, orbiting, neighbor. I had completely forgotten that there was to be a lunar eclipse today and was suddenly quite happy I had to get up early or I would have missed it. 

As I admired the beautiful sight, I couldn't help but feel a sense of awe realizing that I was standing on the very object casting that mammoth shadow. Then it hit me that projected upon that celestial canvas was the shadow of my home. But not just my home, the home of every person who has ever lived. Every plant, and animal, every creature of the sea, every mystery of the Earth was contained in that shadow.  It was the image of the boat that carries us all.  Every war and every conflict seemed tragically silly with such a tangible reminder that we really are all in this together.  Sadly that shadow represented every major event in world history. The dinosaurs, the pyramids, the holocaust, 9-11, slavery, Shakespeare, Mozart, major league baseball, you name it, we all share that shadow.  

It made me wonder why we are still so divided when in all the universe, our entire existence can be contained in a single view.  It was a unifying feeling for me as I felt a connection with every person ever to walk this terrestrial land.  It made me wonder why we fight at all?  Why can't we help and love one another?  Why do we fight over that shadow?  Why can't we see that in the entire universe we might only have each other?

Comments

Popular Posts