Lesson's from the Wilderness

The Superstition Mountains just east of Phoenix are famous for both their mystery and their rugged beauty. If you live in the Valley of the Sun, you know that every year the news reports of those who go missing in the desolate landscape, some of which set out on their journey's with dreams of finding the legendary Lost Dutchman's Mine, some don't survive, and some are never found. Once you get out there, you realize that the land once inhabited by outlaws, hermits, and Indians, is just as cruel as it is beautiful. Spring and Fall are the best times to hike this area as the summer time can be especially harsh. This week, I had the opportunity to spend a couple of days in the remote wilderness with a friend as we hiked around some of the canyons. It's interesting how quickly the true priorities of life begin to take focus every time I throw on the backpack and head out to some seldom traveled region. It doesn't take long for the pressures of mortgage payments and report deadlines to fade away in light of embracing mother nature and her power to awe you or destroy you. It's amazing how much stress melts away as you become aware of how so many of the things in life that occupy your mind are really trivial matters. It's funny, how a mistake out here can prove fatal, yet with so many fewer decisions to worry about, you feel so relaxed. I quickly am reminded of my true priorities in life as the first things I begin to miss are my family, followed closely by Mexican food. It is from the wilderness that I can feel my soul connect with my maker, without internet, texting, and IPODs to occupy my time. As I spend time with my maker and myself, I begin to discover the true nature of each.

I say all of this to encourage everyone to take sometime and enjoy the wilderness if they have an opportunity....... and if you do, just don't die........that tends to detract from the experience.

Comments

  1. Nature has the same affect on me. I am waiting my turn..not everyone is as experienced running around the wilderness...what a mountain man. Author, teacher and tour guide. All nature cries out His majesty. Relaxing and awe inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your humor always comes out in the end..u crack me up sometimes....I <3 you Will Hathaway...I am thankful you are a part of the extended family.. I am going to New Mexico to visit a friend and get in touch with mother nature ( a bit of exploring) next week for a few days can't wait. It always helps to re-balance ones life.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts